Re: [CORE] EOL for 7.4?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-core(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [CORE] EOL for 7.4?
Date: 2009-12-01 16:41:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com> writes:
> This thread never got resolved. I think we can all agree that EOL
> for 7.4 is a "when", not an "if"? Can we get -core to take a stance
> here and pick a date? I like the clean smooth lines of January 2011,
> and thus saying that 2010 is the last year in which we'll backpatch
> things to the 7.4 branch. But I'll stick to whatever core thinks is
> best. Just let the advocacy team know so we can start work on it.

If we're going to set the date that far off, I'd be inclined to EOL
8.0 at the same time. It'll be six years old by then. You could
make a good argument for nuking 8.1 at the same time --- it'll turn
five in November 2010.

Personally I'll still be on the hook for maintaining 8.1 in RHEL5
so I'd be just as happy to keep it alive a bit longer, but if the
community doesn't want to deal with it that makes perfect sense.
I have no personal commitment to 8.0 at all because Red Hat never
shipped that in a RHEL release ...