Re: CREATE USER

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CREATE USER
Date: 2011-12-14 04:27:37
Lists: pgsql-docs
> Well, I know we support the new pg_dump dumping back to 7.1, but I don't
> know what our policy is for accepting old dumps.

We're still going to very large lengths to load pre-7.3 dumps; see
for instance ConvertTriggerToFK() in trigger.c.  I'm not aware of any
policy that would suggest blowing off pre-8.1 dumps should be
acceptable.  Yeah, it's true that the *recommended* procedure is to
use the newer pg_dump, but people aren't always in a position to do
that.

I think it might be sane to emit a WARNING suggesting that CREATEUSER
might not mean what you think, but failing is probably not good.