Re: Spelling of lock names

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Spelling of lock names
Date: 2002-03-22 18:35:50
Lists: pgsql-docs

> The current spelling corresponds to the internal identifier names, but not
> to any user-level command syntax, so I don't consider it appropriate for
> user-level documentation.

I agree that the internal coding should not dictate what the
documentation uses, but I'm not sure that I see the improvement from
ShareRowExclusiveLock
share-row-exclusive lock
when the thing the user might actually write is
LOCK foo IN SHARE ROW EXCLUSIVE MODE

It'd seem that
SHARE ROW EXCLUSIVE lock
(perhaps font-ifying what I've upcased here) would be the closest thing
to the user-visible syntax.