Re: Version numbers on libpq.dll

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "PostgreSQL Win32 port list" <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: Version numbers on libpq.dll
Date: 2004-12-13 19:29:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

"Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net> writes:
>> The idea that someone is going to update that version string every time
>> there is a change to libpq isn't going to happen reliably if at all.
>> Maybe that value should be set by the installer to be the
>> number of days since 1970.

> We could set it when building the installer by hacking up the DLL file,
> but that's really ugly, because then there would be no correlation with
> the official version numbers. And we claim to ship the official
> version...

Also, that approach won't work *at all* for people who build from source
without using the installer. I think it would be a real bad idea for
the installer to install something different than what you'd get from a
hand build of the identical source release.

I think we have to bite the bullet and include "bump low part of DLL
version number" as part of the standard release checklist. This will at
least solve the problem for people who use official tarballs. Them as
build from CVS pulls are going to have to guard against the problem for
themselves, but it's not like there haven't always been equivalent
gotchas on the Unix side.