Re: Modifying TOAST thresholds

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Modifying TOAST thresholds
Date: 2007-04-03 14:15:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org> writes:
> Here's a "drafty" patch that *tries* to do this using a GUC variable;
> it passes some interactive testing.

BTW, it strikes me that a GUC variable is quite the wrong way to go
about this.  The right way is a table storage parameter, a la FILLFACTOR,
so that it can be set on a per-table basis.  That would also give us a
chance to fix my concern about needs_toast_table: the case where we
might need a toast table that we didn't need before is where the toast
threshold is lowered via ALTER TABLE SET, and we could reasonably make
that command recheck the situation.