Re: Percent of update completed

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Colin McGuigan <cmcguigan(at)earthcomber(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Percent of update completed
Date: 2005-02-07 16:00:00
Lists: pgsql-novice

Colin McGuigan <cmcguigan(at)earthcomber(dot)com> writes:
> Is there a way to see how many rows of a table have been processed by an
> update? I've got an update on a 13,000,000 row table that's been
> running for five days now.

Not directly, but if you use the contrib/pgstattuple module you can get
readings on the numbers of committed and uncommitted tuples in the
table. The rate at which the uncommitted-tuples count increases would
tell you how fast the update is proceeding. (You should probably not
assume that you started with zero uncommitted tuples, unless you know
you'd vacuumed the table just beforehand.)