Re: Function works in 8.4 but not in 9.0 beta2 "ERROR: structure of query does not match function result type"

From: Marcel Asio <marcel(dot)asio(at)redbet(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Function works in 8.4 but not in 9.0 beta2 "ERROR: structure of query does not match function result type"
Date: 2010-06-29 15:44:09
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi Tom,

Yes I managed to figured that out, but when was this changed?

It was working in 8.4 but not 9.0 and I could not find anything about this in the release notes.

On Jun 29, 2010, at 17:32 , Tom Lane wrote:

> Marcel Asio <marcel(dot)asio(at)redbet(dot)com> writes:
>> I've started testing our applications against PostgreSQL 9.0 beta2 and found
>> that this function now does not work anymore(rewritten to be as small and
>> anonymous as possible)
>> CREATE TYPE test_type AS(
>> product text,
>> amount numeric(30,4)
>> );
>> CREATE FUNCTION test_func() RETURNS SETOF test_type AS $$
>> BEGIN
>> RETURN QUERY SELECT 'test'::text, 30.2::numeric;
>> END;
>> $$ LANGUAGE plpgsql STABLE;
>
> You need to actually coerce the 30.2 to numeric(30,4), not just numeric.
> The former behavior wasn't self-consistent.
>
> regards, tom lane

Regards
Marcel Asio
Network & System Administrator
Redbet Technology
Mobile: +46 (0)709 13 04 01
Work: +46 (0)8 12 09 99 41
marcel(dot)asio(at)redbet(dot)com

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.