Re: pg_ctl restart issue with relative paths

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_ctl restart issue with relative paths
Date: 2012-10-14 17:07:33
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 3:56 PM, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com> wrote:
>> I have noticed that, using pg_ctl, if you start Postgres using a
>> relative path, then attempt to restart it from anywhere else, it
>> fails.

> Yeah, I was complaining about the same problem here:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2011-10/msg00210.php

I just re-read that thread, and it occurred to me that there is another
way to fix the problem: what we need is either for postmaster.opts to
not store the -D option at all, or for pg_ctl restart to override that
option with its freshly-derived idea of where the data directory is.
This would avoid my allergy to the idea of storing an absolute-ified
path, which I'm still down on because it would have failure modes of
its own.