Re: 8.1 Release Candidate 1 Bundled ...

From: "Lamar Owen" <lowen(at)pari(dot)edu>
To: "Devrim GUNDUZ" <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
Cc: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.1 Release Candidate 1 Bundled ...
Date: 2005-10-31 14:17:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> The developer.postgresql.org machine really isn't geared to handle
>> downloads.. Any reason you can't just stick it on the standard ftp sites
>> and have it mirrored along with everything else?

> This is taken from our spec:
> # Pre-release RPM's should not be put up on the public ftp.postgresql.org
> server
> # -- only test releases or full releases should be.

> So thinking that:

> * Beta and RC RPMs are used only by testers
> * We use the beta and RC steps to build the new RPM sets, so that means
> that actually they are not production quality looking from the RPM
> perspective.

By way of clarification, as I am the one who wrote that portion of the
spec file, an 'RPM prerelease' and a 'beta' weren't intended to be the
same thing; the line in the spec referenced was for my own use to remind
me that my own internal testing packages (with a release number 0.x)
weren't intended for public consumption. Devrim, you can remove that
section of the spec file at any time at this point, because you are using
CVS for the purpose that I was using 'prerelease' RPMs.

Historically, beta and release candidate RPM's were put on the main ftp
site but flagged as beta quality. I certainly appreciate your dilligence
in following those instructions I wrote long ago, but, thanks to your
smoother release process (in no small part due to the use of CVS) those
instructions are obsolete. Many thanks for being that dilligent!
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology