Re: BUG #6365: Memory leak in insert and update

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: havasvolgyi(dot)otto(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6365: Memory leak in insert and update
Date: 2011-12-29 20:10:17
Lists: pgsql-bugs
havasvolgyi(dot)otto(at)gmail(dot)com writes:
> Bug reference:      6365
> Logged by:          Otto Havasvlgyi
> Email address:      havasvolgyi(dot)otto(at)gmail(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.1.2
> Operating system:   Win XP SP2 x86; Linux Debian 2.6.32 kernel x64

> The bug can be reproduced with pgbench:

I see no memory leak with this example.

I suspect you are being fooled by tools that report shared memory as
being used by a process only after it first touches a given page of
shared memory ("top" on Linux does that, for example).  This will cause
the apparent memory consumption of any long-lived backend to increase
until it has touched every available shared buffer.  But that's not a
leak, just an artifact of the reporting tool.  You can confirm for
yourself that that's what's happening by reducing shared_buffers to
a few megabytes and observing that reported memory usage increases up
to that much and then stops growing.

On Linux, I find that watching the "VIRT" column of top output is a
far more reliable guide to whether a memory leak is actually occuring.
Can't offer any suggestions as to what to use on Windows.