Re: BUG ? ... CURSOR AS VIEW ... MOVE ... CRASH

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Nabil Sayegh <nsmail(at)sayegh(dot)de>
Cc: postgresql <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG ? ... CURSOR AS VIEW ... MOVE ... CRASH
Date: 2001-04-20 17:50:16
Lists: pgsql-novice

Nabil Sayegh <nsmail(at)sayegh(dot)de> writes:
> The following script crashes the backend (when run with psql).

Yes, this is a bug. I can't get excited about fixing it though,
because there are a huge pile of other bugs associated with changing
fetch directions in complex queries. The amount of work needed to make
the world safe for this sort of thing is far out of proportion to the
benefit. Maybe someday someone will get around to it --- but we have
a lot of higher-priority problems...

> BTW: Is it o.k. to use MOVE to re-use a query ? Or is there no speed
> benefit ?

There isn't any real speed benefit; besides, what's the point of
refetching tuples you already fetched? If you want random access
to a query result, libpq does that just fine on the client side.