Re: Review: Fix snapshot taking inconsistencies

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(dot)tiikkaja(at)cs(dot)helsinki(dot)fi>, Steve Singer <ssinger_pg(at)sympatico(dot)ca>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Review: Fix snapshot taking inconsistencies
Date: 2011-02-28 18:45:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 1:22 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> So: exactly what is the intended behavioral change as of now, and what
>> is the argument supporting that change?

> IIUC, this is the result of countless rounds of communal bikeshedding around:

Quite :-(.  But I'm not sure where the merry-go-round stopped.

> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-07/msg01256.php

Please notice that the very terms of discussion in that message depend
on a view of wCTEs that has got nothing to do with what was applied.
I'm afraid that the goals of this patch might be similarly obsolete.
I definitely don't want to apply the patch in a hurry just because
we're down to the end of the commitfest.