Re: [9.0beta5/cvs head] build failure due to unchecked results

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Martin Pitt <mpitt(at)debian(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [9.0beta5/cvs head] build failure due to unchecked results
Date: 2010-04-30 16:51:21
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Still, I think we should consider applying the portion of
> the proposed patch that avoid relying on the contents of the fgets()
> buffer after fgets() returns NULL,

I concur, those two changes look worthwhile. The proposed Assert()
additions are right out, though, as they would turn write failures
into database crashes. The current code doesn't even think that such
a failure is worth testing for, so that's surely an overreaction.
(And in any case, if Asserts are disabled, this change would fail to
suppress the warning, no?)