Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/contrib/pg_dumpaccounts (Makefile README pg_dumpaccounts.sh)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ned Lilly <ned(at)greatbridge(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/contrib/pg_dumpaccounts (Makefile README pg_dumpaccounts.sh)
Date: 2000-11-02 21:26:27
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Ned Lilly <ned(at)greatbridge(dot)com> writes:
> Well, here in relatively minor form is the First Example of a Great
> Bridge Priority (which Tom, Bruce, and Jan have all predicted would
> come... ;-)

Hmm. I wasn't aware that Jan had done it at Great Bridge's request,
and I am going to make a point of not letting that affect my opinion ;-).

What really got my ire up was that this change was committed several
days *after* core had agreed that 7.0.3 was frozen and ready to go except
for updating the changelog, and that it was committed with no prior
notice or discussion. The fact that GB asked for it doesn't make that
better; if anything it makes it worse. We wouldn't have accepted such
a patch at this late date from an outside contributor, I believe.
Jan should surely have known better than to handle it in this fashion.

Need I remind you, also, that GB has been bugging us for several weeks
to get 7.0.3 released ASAP? Last-minute changes don't further that
goal.

The early returns from pghackers seem to be that people favor just
dropping the script into /contrib and not worrying about how well
tested/documented it is. If that's the consensus then I'll shut up
... but I do *not* like the way this was handled.