Re: compiling problem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: tzacos <tzacos(at)free(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: compiling problem
Date: 2005-08-31 02:56:31
Lists: pgsql-ports
tzacos <tzacos(at)free(dot)fr> writes:
> Tom Lane a crit :
>> Don't do it as root.  There's seldom any good reason to run software
>> builds as root.

> the problem is that you can use rpm without being root

[ I suppose you meant "can't" ]  Sure you can --- use rpmbuild anyway.

Actually installing the RPM after you built it needs root, for obvious
reasons, but there's no reason to do the build process as root.  I can
assure you that no one within Red Hat ever runs rpmbuild as root.

The done thing is to create a personal ~/rpmwork directory, with
subdirectories BUILD RPMS SOURCES SPECS and SRPMS, then create a
~/.rpmmacros file containing

%_topdir /home/..you../rpmwork

Then you build an SRPM by putting it in ~/rpmwork/SRPMS and running
rpmbuild there.  This results in RPMS under ~/rpmwork/RPMS, which
you can install via "sudo rpm -i ...".  But you don't do the actual
build as root, because that violates the ancient safety principle of
doing as little as possible as root.