Re: pg_dump table ordering bug [8.0.1]

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Gerard Krupa" <Gerard(dot)Krupa(at)marconi(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump table ordering bug [8.0.1]
Date: 2005-02-10 15:29:54
Lists: pgsql-bugs
"Gerard Krupa" <Gerard(dot)Krupa(at)marconi(dot)com> writes:
> I've experienced a similar problem with a data-only dump using 8.0.1's
> pg_dump.  It seems that the COPYs (or INSERTs) are generated in
> alphabetical order of table name, ignoring foreign key contraints and
> requiring the output to be post-processed.  In a full dump of the database
> the constraints are added after the data is inserted so there are no
> problems.  See the two attached dumps of the same database as an example.

This is not a bug.  In a data-only dump pg_dump cannot hope to know what
FK constraints may be applied to the data at load time --- there's no
particularly good reason to assume they are the same as what was in the
source database.  So it's your responsibility to order the loading steps
properly.  See pg_restore's -l/-L switches.