Re: TODO: GNU TLS

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TODO: GNU TLS
Date: 2006-12-29 15:58:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> On Fri, Dec 29, 2006 at 12:08:37AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> libjpeg, my other major open-source project, has always been shipped
>> under a BSD-ish license that includes an "advertising" clause; I quote:
>>
>> : (2) If only executable code is distributed, then the accompanying
>> : documentation must state that "this software is based in part on the work of
>> : the Independent JPEG Group".

> That's not an advertising clause,

That's not a fact, that's an opinion, and unless you're a lawyer who's
studied the matter, I don't think your opinion carries much weight.
Admittedly mine doesn't either --- but the point here is that it's
extremely debatable whether there is any real difference between OpenSSL
and other projects that no one is complaining about.