Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts
Date: 2009-08-19 18:48:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com> writes:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> ... for the simple reason that nobody is maintaining it. Wheeler just
>> pointed out to me today that the OSX startup script hasn't been updated
>> since 7.4 and contains misinformation and dangerous scripting.
>>
>> Other startup scripts there are equally dilapidated, and aren't used by
>> the linux distros regardless.
>>
> IMHO, those scripts (at least the Linux one) has great value. There are
> numerous people that compile and install from source, and for them at
> least some of these scripts are used quite a bit.

> AFAIK, the Linux one is functional (yes, sub-optimal in some ways, but
> it works just fine)...

There are lots of files in our distribution that don't get changed for
years at a time. I think if there's something wrong with these, they
should get fixed. I'm certainly not prepared to remove them on the
basis of an unsubstantiated second-hand report of unspecified problems.

(Personally, I use scripts based on start-scripts/osx/ for a number of
services on my own machines, so if there's something wrong with them
I'd definitely like to know what it is.)