Re: timezone change after upgrade from postgres 9.1 to 9.3?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Anand Kumar, Karthik" <Karthik(dot)AnandKumar(at)classmates(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: timezone change after upgrade from postgres 9.1 to 9.3?
Date: 2014-01-31 00:17:14
Lists: pgsql-general

Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On 01/30/2014 03:17 PM, Anand Kumar, Karthik wrote:
>> We just upgraded our postgres database from 9.1 to 9.3. And noticed that
>> the timezone changed from PST to GMT.
>> Is that known behavior? Has anyone else run into it, or am I just
>> missing something?

> Well there where changes in the way timezones are set in 9.2.

Yeah. Likely theories include

1. You ran initdb in a different environment than you normally start the
server in.

2. You blindly copied the 9.1 postgresql.conf into the 9.3 installation,
overwriting what initdb had done. If there's no uncommented timezone
setting in the .conf file, 9.3 will fall back to GMT, IIRC. But that
approach to configuration has a lot of pitfalls besides this one.

In any case the fix is to set the zone you want in postgresql.conf.