Re: 7.1 items

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.1 items
Date: 2000-04-06 14:39:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz> writes:

> If all will right (and major developers will agree) I plan PREPARE/EXECUTE
> commands and changes in SPI background for plan saving (query cache).

Given that there is going to be a querytree redesign for 7.1, I'd
suggest holding off on prepared plans until 7.2. Otherwise it's
going to be a mess.

The good thing about the above list is that we have four essentially
independent major projects. (I think outer joins are a portion of the
querytree work, not a separate item.) So work on them can proceed in
parallel. And, if it gets to be September-ish and only two or three
are done, we can make a 7.1 release and still feel pretty good about
having some nice stuff.

This does bring up a suggestion that Jan has made in the past. Perhaps
it would be a good idea if we create a separate CVS branch for each of
these major projects, so that people could work on that project
independently of the others. When a project is done, we merge it back
into the main branch. Then it's no problem if one of the projects is
broken temporarily, or not ready to go when we want to release 7.1.

OTOH, managing separate CVS branches might be a real pain in the neck,
especially for developers who need to deal with more than one project.
I've never done it so I don't have a feeling for what it would take.
But the Mozilla people do this sort of thing all the time, so it can't
be that bad.