Re: Slow DROP INDEX

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Slow DROP INDEX
Date: 2004-02-16 18:03:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca> writes:
> The real question is why does DROP INDEX take more than a couple of
> seconds to complete? It is not held up by locked.

AFAICS it shouldn't take any time to complete. I think you're mistaken
and it is blocking on a lock (it will want exclusive lock on the table).
Everyone else will then queue up behind it.

IIRC there is not any easy way to check this in 7.2 unfortunately :-(
but you could try looking for idle-in-transaction backends.