Re: Cygwin PostgreSQL CVS Patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>
Cc: Horák Daniel <horak(at)sit(dot)plzen-city(dot)cz>, pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Cygwin PostgreSQL CVS Patch
Date: 2001-01-16 05:04:57
Lists: pgsql-ports

Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com> writes:
>> (b) socket file present but no postmaster attached ---
>> you can get that by kill -9'ing the postmaster ...

> Unfortunately, case b causes psql to hang. Using gdb, I was able to
> trace that psql hangs calling select() in pqWait() (i.e.,
> src/interfaces/libpq/fe-misc.c line 739).

> I'm pretty sure that this is Cygwin bug. I will try to formulate
> a minimal test for submission to the Cygwin list but I'm not that
> experienced with sockets. Would anyone like to assist me with this
> endeavor?

You should be able to do something like just creating an unconnected
socket file and then trying to cat(1) from it ...

> I will hold off submitting the patch until this is fixed.

That might be an overreaction --- this does sound like a Cygwin bug
that should be reported and fixed, but the scenario won't happen in
normal operations. Furthermore, if we wait for a confirmed Cygwin
fix, we'll likely miss the 7.1 release. I'd suggest going ahead and
enabling AF_UNIX socket support for Cygwin; worst case is that we
warn people to be wary of it in Cygwin versions < something-or-other.