Re: Converting a proceedure from SOLID to Postgres

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Bob Whitehouse" <bwhitehouse(at)geeknest(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-novice" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Converting a proceedure from SOLID to Postgres
Date: 2001-05-04 23:20:26
Lists: pgsql-novice
"Bob Whitehouse" <bwhitehouse(at)geeknest(dot)com> writes:
> When I run this I get this error message:

> SQL: select get_last_respondent(1290)
> [Fri May  4 16:30:40 2001] null: DBD::Pg::st execute failed: ERROR:
> unexpected SELECT query in exec_stmt_execsql()

plpgsql believes (for no good reason AFAICS) that a SELECT that doesn't
put its results someplace must be a mistake.  Therefore it wants you
to do SELECT INTO rather than plain SELECT.  If you're only doing the
SELECT so that you can check FOUND or ROW_COUNT, you still need to
select into a dummy variable.

As near as I can tell, the function you are trying to translate also
does a SELECT INTO and returns the result of that select (if
successful).  So in reality, your translation is wrong anyway.
I think you want something like

	declare
		person int4;
	begin