Re: pg_dump's checkSeek() seems inadequate

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump's checkSeek() seems inadequate
Date: 2010-06-28 14:08:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> IIRC pg_restore expects the archive to begin with the header and TOC
> produced by pg_dump. Maybe I'm being dense, but I'm not able to see how
> prefixing that with something else could possibly do something useful or
> workable.

You'd have to do something like

(1) open the file as stdin
(2) read the custom header
(3) exec pg_restore, telling it to read stdin

A possible application for this would be for the header to contain
information needed to prepare pg_restore's arguments, like where to
contact the server. I still think it's a bit too klugy to justify
the effort though.

In a more abstract sense, what this would be is basically a custom
label for a dump file. I could see that being useful, but if we
wanted to support it then it ought to be an actual Feature and not
a kluge like this. Something like

pg_dump --label 'any string' ... other args ...

pg_restore --print-label dump.file