Re: MACADDR parsing issues

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Matthijs Bomhoff <matthijs(at)quarantainenet(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MACADDR parsing issues
Date: 2011-06-06 14:31:50
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Matthijs Bomhoff <matthijs(at)quarantainenet(dot)nl> writes:
>  The attached version also rejects MACs containing additional
>  whitespace between the octets and separators etc.

I was under the impression that allowing whitespace there was a feature,
not a bug.  I'm not sure about the more general question of which
abbreviated MAC formats are or should be allowed, though.  Can you point
to any standards about that?  I'm disinclined to incur the inevitable
application-compatibility complaints from making the code reject things
it now accepts unless we have a pretty solid argument that "it now acts
more like RFC NNNN says it should".