Re: could not create socket for statistics collector: Protocol not supported

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Chris" <chris(at)paymentonline(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: could not create socket for statistics collector: Protocol not supported
Date: 2004-09-27 14:19:34
Lists: pgsql-general
"Chris" <chris(at)paymentonline(dot)com> writes:
> I'm a little confused about why I am getting this.  I was reading a message
> from Tom earlier that said it was because postgresql could not bind to
> localhost, but the statistics collector is running and localhost does
> resolve to 127.0.0.1.

"Protocol not supported" suggests to me that getaddrinfo is returning an
IPv6 address for localhost when your kernel only supports IPv4 (or
possibly vice versa, but that seems much less likely).  You didn't give
enough detail to help in explaining why that might happen...

> I do see a lot of failed connection attempts to port 53 from
> postgres.

If you are intending to run without DNS, then you need to create or
adjust your /etc/resolv.conf file to say so.