Re: Major performance problem after upgrade from 8.3 to 8.4

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gerhard Wiesinger <lists(at)wiesinger(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andreas Kretschmer <akretschmer(at)spamfence(dot)net>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Major performance problem after upgrade from 8.3 to 8.4
Date: 2010-09-03 18:09:22
Lists: pgsql-performance

Gerhard Wiesinger <lists(at)wiesinger(dot)com> writes:
> On Fri, 3 Sep 2010, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Doh. I hadn't looked closely at that. Probably you want
>> /usr/share/zoneinfo --- at least that's what the Red Hat RPMs use.

> I tried even before I wrote to the mailinglist without success:
> ./configure

I'd definitely suggest leaving out the --with-system-tzdata option
altogether if you're not certain it works.

> With last one I also get:
> 2010-09-03 19:51:29.079 CEST [27916] @/: FATAL: invalid value for parameter "timezone_abbreviations": "Default"

This is a different problem; the --with-system-tzdata option wouldn't
affect that.

I think what may be happening here is that a postgres executable expects
to find itself in a full installation tree, ie if it's in /someplace/bin
then the timezone files are in /someplace/share, etc. Did you do a full
"make install" after building, or did you just copy the postgres
executable?