Re: ECPG CVS version problems

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Philip Yarra <philip(at)utiba(dot)com>, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ECPG CVS version problems
Date: 2003-06-16 05:18:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces pgsql-patches

> I wonder is we should check for *dev on the version string and make
> missing bison version a hard error in these cases.

No, because that breaks snapshot tarballs.

You could possibly make some argument for going out and actually
checking the existence and timestamp of each bison-derived file that
should be there, and erroring out only if it looks like bison is really
gonna get invoked during the build. But that seems like an
unmaintainable kluge to me.

It's not like the bison-related build failures aren't pretty obvious.
I think the configure-time test is doing its job by producing a
warning. If people don't notice it, well, they'll find out later.
We do assume some level of technical competence for those who build
from CVS pulls ...