Re: COPY FROM performance improvements

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Luke Lonergan" <LLonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
Cc: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>,"Alon Goldshuv" <agoldshuv(at)greenplum(dot)com>,pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: COPY FROM performance improvements
Date: 2005-08-10 15:37:57
Lists: pgsql-patches
"Luke Lonergan" <LLonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com> writes:
> Yes, I think one thing we've learned is that there are important parts
> of the code, those that are in the data path (COPY, sort, spill to
> disk, etc) that are in dire need of optimization.  For instance, the
> fgetc() pattern should be banned everywhere in the data path.

Luke, I dislike whacking people upside the head, but this discussion
seems to presume that raw speed on Intel platforms is the only thing
that matters.  We have a few other concerns.  Portability, readability,
maintainability, and correctness all trump platform-specific
optimizations.  The COPY patch as presented lost badly on all those
counts, and you are lucky that it didn't get rejected completely.