Re: Thoughts on the location of configuration files

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Thoughts on the location of configuration files
Date: 2001-12-19 04:50:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org> writes:
> As to the security points that Tom brings up, you don't put anything in /etc
> directly -- you put it under /etc/pgsql, and lock it down the same as$PGDATA.

That'd work if we assume that /etc/pgsql can be owned by the postgres
user.  Is that kosher per the various filesystem layout standards?
Seems to me that someone who thinks the executables should be root-owned
is likely to think the same of the config files.

Personally I think this would be a fine idea, I'm just worried that
we'll find packagers overriding the decision because "the Debian
standards don't allow you to do that" or whatever.