Re: PostgreSQL for Data Warehouse

From: "Sean Davis" <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
To: "Jasmin Dizdarevic" <jasmin(dot)dizdarevic(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL for Data Warehouse
Date: 2008-10-02 23:52:36
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 6:28 PM, Jasmin Dizdarevic
<jasmin(dot)dizdarevic(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i'm actually evaluating different dbms for data warehouse tasks.
> has anybody expirience with it?
>
> i have to store 50 mio. records p.m. in a fact table.
> something like this:
>
> date; cust; group; product; value
>
> ...with unique index on date,cust,group,product.
>
> will there be any problem's in response time in let's say 12 months?

It totally depends on hardware, the queries you will be running, under
what load, and what you mean by "response time". If I were you, I
would simply simulate your 600 m rows and then run the queries that
you want to see how the system performs.

Sean