Re: Re: Would a PostgreSQL database on a DVD be usable?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Gould <andrewgould(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Allan Engelhardt <allane(at)cybaea(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Would a PostgreSQL database on a DVD be usable?
Date: 2001-08-07 00:40:18
Lists: pgsql-general

Andrew Gould <andrewgould(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> Am I understanding this correctly that it can (should)
> work if:

> 1. I burn the database directory to the CD/DVD; and

> 2. The user mounts the CD/DVD and creates a symbolic
> link in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/ to the database
> directory on the CD/DVD; and uses the existing log
> directory; and

> 3. Restarts the postmaster daemon?

I believe so, *but* be sure to do a complete VACUUM and then shut down
the postmaster (CHECKPOINT should be sufficient in theory, but shutdown
is a lot safer) before you copy the database directory to CD. You need
the VACUUM to update on-row tuple status bits, else you will get runtime
failures when the system tries to update out-of-date status bits in what
it will find is a read-only file.

A possible problem is that Postgres will try to open the files in
read-write mode, even if it never actually issues a write. If your
kernel only accepts read-only opens for files on a read-only volume,
this might not work.