Re: Distinct types

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Distinct types
Date: 2008-11-28 16:20:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Simon Riggs wrote:
>> Shame, this was sorely needed.

> I understand, but the work required to make it work properly is too much
> under the commit fest spirit right now.

Personally I was wondering exactly why it's "sorely needed".  There has
been not one field request for this functionality; in fact I'd never
heard of the feature until Peter popped up with his patch.  I assumed he
was simply trying to see if we could tick off another SQL feature
checkbox with a small number of lines of code.

If it's going to take a significant amount of work then I think someone
ought to provide an actual justification why it's worth the work.