Re: Understanding the behaviour of hostname in psql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Marco Craveiro <marco(dot)craveiro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Understanding the behaviour of hostname in psql
Date: 2010-12-05 17:03:11
Lists: pgsql-novice
Marco Craveiro <marco(dot)craveiro(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> unfortunately, the result is still not quite right:

>     $ psql -h 127.0.0.1 -U marco -w --dbname sanzala
>     [ works as expected ]

>     $ psql -h localhost -U marco -w --dbname sanzala
>     psql: fe_sendauth: no password supplied

It looks to me like "localhost" is getting resolved as the IPv6
loopback address (::1), which for some reason you've configured
differently than the IPv4 loopback address in your pg_hba.conf:

>     host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          trust
>     host    all         all         ::1/128               md5

I'm not sure why your "ping" example doesn't reflect that --- maybe you
have an IPv4-only version of ping?  But if you're unconvinced you could
turn on log_connections and see where the server sees the connection as
coming from.