Re: Query cancelled errors

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Rickard <David(dot)Rickard(at)GTScompanies(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Query cancelled errors
Date: 2003-09-16 19:25:42
Lists: pgsql-novice
David Rickard <David(dot)Rickard(at)GTScompanies(dot)com> writes:
>>> ERROR:  Query was cancelled.
>>
>> Something is sending the backend a SIGINT.  What platform are you on?
>> (For that matter, what PG version are you using?)

> System: SunOS rutabaga 5.9 Generic_112233-07 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-250
> PG:  7.3.4

A bit of googling turned up this:
http://dbforums.com/arch/128/2002/7/425070

which suggests that the solution is to not use /sbin/sh as your root
shell; or perhaps better, arrange to spawn Postgres from a startup
script rather than manually from a root shell.

Judging from that discussion, my idea of interposing nohup won't help.
I had thought that maybe nohup would dissociate Postgres from the
root shell's process group, but evidently it doesn't do that on Solaris.
(I can't find any evidence that it does so on Linux or HPUX, either,
so I'm not going to modify the standard version of pg_ctl, unless
someone comes up with evidence that it would help somewhere.)