Re: resource leak in 7.2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Tom Pfau" <T(dot)Pfau(at)emCrit(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: resource leak in 7.2
Date: 2002-02-05 18:07:18
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-cygwin

"Tom Pfau" <T(dot)Pfau(at)emCrit(dot)com> writes:
> In any case, if I run my test procedure which just performs updates to a
> random column of a random row of a 1000 row table, I can watch the
> handle usage continue to rise on the backend process.
> Looking a bit more closely now, a single process doesn't seem to cause a
> problem. Running two or more copies simultaneously causes the backends
> to continuously consume handles. If I stop one of the processes, the
> other stops losing handles.

Unsurprisingly, I don't see any such problem under Unix (HPUX to be
specific, but I'd be astonished to see PG on any Unix do that,
considering that each backend manages its open files independently).

I think you must be looking at some misbehavior of the Cygwin layer.
If the problem really did go away in 7.1.3, perhaps some fix was applied
by the Cygwin packager and not contributed back to the main code base.
But it's got to be a Cygwin bug anyway; the most we could do is find
some workaround to avoid triggering it.