Re: Problems with max_connections parameter

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jorge Augusto Meira <jmeira(at)c3sl(dot)ufpr(dot)br>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems with max_connections parameter
Date: 2010-12-06 15:31:27
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Jorge Augusto Meira <jmeira(at)c3sl(dot)ufpr(dot)br> writes:
> The error message was:
> "Erro Conexo: A tentativa de conexo falhou."
> or
> "Erro Conexo: FATAL: connection limit exceeded for non-superusers"

Hmm ... I can't find the first of those anywhere in the 8.4 message
lists; but the second one definitely says that you *are* hitting the
max_connections limit, whether you think you should be or not.

I wonder whether you are neglecting to allow for the fact that backends
have a nonzero shutdown time?  If you disconnect and immediately
reconnect, it's possible that your old backend is still around, so that
the new connection attempt causes max_connections to be exceeded.  This
is particularly likely if the test program is on the same machine as the
database server, because the test program itself is likely to have a
higher scheduling priority than the old backend.