Re: Fwd: Problem with connection dropping

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jeff Wigal (Referee Assistant)" <jeff(at)referee-assistant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fwd: Problem with connection dropping
Date: 2009-04-14 01:06:55
Lists: pgsql-odbc
"Jeff Wigal (Referee Assistant)" <jeff(at)referee-assistant(dot)com> writes:
> Not 100% sure what's going on with the network between here and there.  He's
> on a Time Warner or Comcast residential network between his PC in Colorado

Ick ...

> He's not intentionally leaving a connection open.  When things go as they
> should, the entire transaction lasts about 3-4 minutes from connection to
> disconnect.

Well, your log shows about 17 minutes between connection and timeout,
so apparently things didn't go well.  I'd like to think that Comcast
doesn't cut connections after just a minute or two of idle time, but
they might well drop 'em at ten or so minutes.

If your server platform supports it, setting tcp_keepalives_interval
to a few minutes might prevent the drop.