Re: issue about information_schema REFERENTIAL_CONSTRAINTS

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Bugs List <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: issue about information_schema REFERENTIAL_CONSTRAINTS
Date: 2010-09-03 17:53:26
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-docs

> Excerpts from Fabien COELHO's message of vie sep 03 13:39:19 -0400 2010:
>> I tried to explained that I'm analyzing other people's schemas. I cannot
>> ask all other people on the planet to rewrite their schemas, I pick them
>> as they are.

> Maybe you shouldn't be using the information_schema in the first place.

It would probably be reasonable to put something into chapter 34 of the
docs pointing out this limitation. I'm not sure exactly where though.
Should we invent a "compatibility issues" section in that chapter,
analogous to the ones we have for individual SQL commands? Are there
other issues worth documenting for the information_schema views?