Determining the WAL file needed by a standby

From: "Nicholson, Brad (Toronto, ON, CA)" <bnicholson(at)hp(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Determining the WAL file needed by a standby
Date: 2011-02-09 20:37:04
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

Once I've shut down a streaming replica standby, is there a way from the master I can tell which WAL file is going to be the earliest one needed in order for the replica to catch back up?

What I want to do is be able to automatically detect if that WAL file is still around so that the replica can just be started back up and catch up automatically, or if it is gone and I need to do a resync with the master.

Thanks,
Brad.