Re: Spoofing as the postmaster

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marko Kreen" <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "Tomasz Ostrowski" <tometzky(at)batory(dot)org(dot)pl>
Subject: Re: Spoofing as the postmaster
Date: 2007-12-22 19:21:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers
"Marko Kreen" <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> (FYI - Debian already puts unix socket to directory writable
> only to postgres user, so they dont have the problem.  Maybe
> we should encourage distros to move away from /tmp?)

No, we shouldn't, and if I had any authority over them I would make
Debian stop doing that.  It amounts to a unilateral distro-specific
change in the protocol, and I think it makes things *less* secure,
because any clients who are expecting the socket to be in /tmp will be
easy pickings for a spoofer.  Debian cannot hope to prevent that
scenario, because there are non-libpq-based client implementations.