Re: Urgent PST time changing tonight

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>, DM <dm(dot)aeqa(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Urgent PST time changing tonight
Date: 2009-03-10 12:31:31
Lists: pgsql-admin

Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Note that pgsql uses its own internal TZ data. So your OS being up to
> date means little if your database is not.

Well, it depends. I think practically all distro-supplied versions
are using --with-system-tzdata (or equivalent patches in older PG
releases) so that they don't need to turn PG when updating the TZ
database. You really only want to use the built-in tzdata if you're
on a system that doesn't receive software updates in some fairly
automated manner.

But the whole discussion only applies to people who live in places
where the DST laws change without reasonable advance notice.