Re: ecpg-related build failure with make 3.82

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ecpg-related build failure with make 3.82
Date: 2011-10-28 17:24:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> On my Fedora 14 box, make -j3 fails.  I think the below is the
> relevant portion of the output.  This has a passing similarity to bug
> 5665, but I can't for the life of me see what the problem is here.
> parer.o depends on preproc.h, which depends on preproc.c; therefore,
> parser.o should not be built until preproc.c has been built, but
> that's exactly what make is doing.

I tried to reproduce this on my own Fedora 14 box, and couldn't.
I cd'd to src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc and did several repetitions of

	make maintainer-clean
	make -j

and every time, make carefully waited until bison was done before
launching the compiles of preproc.o, parser.o, and the other files
that are declared to depend on preproc.h.

I *can* reproduce failures if I do the same thing one directory level
up, in src/interfaces/ecpg.  But those are caused by the other sub-makes
not waiting for include/ecpg_config.h to get built.  Fixing that is
beyond my level of make-fu.

This is with make-3.82-3.fc14.x86_64 ...