Re: right sibling is not next child

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Peter Brant" <Peter(dot)Brant(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, "Randy Peterson" <Randy(dot)Peterson(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Subject: Re: right sibling is not next child
Date: 2006-04-06 18:26:54
Lists: pgsql-bugs

>> You weren't by any chance running with full_page_writes = off
>> were you?

> Yes we were. Apparently I have misunderstood the implications of this.

So had we all :-(. It just plain doesn't work in 8.1.*, and will be
disabled in 8.1.4 --- see discussion last week. It might or might not
get resurrected in 8.2, depending on how messy it seems to be to fix.

Anyway, that explains your "heap_clean_redo: no block" failure. I think
you're stuck risking a pg_resetxlog to try to get back into the
database. If that results in a hopelessly corrupt database, we can try
modifying the WAL replay code to not consider this a fatal error, and
see if that produces anything we can use for debugging. I'm glad this
isn't your only copy of the database ...

> There is a lot of data in the database which is confidential by law.
> I'd have to jump through a lot of hoops to get anyone to even consider
> letting me ship it off site. If you're asking whether you could access
> in to our site, that might be arranged.

It sounds like the DB is too big to consider shipping anywhere anyway.
As long as you're comfortable doing stuff like pg_filedump and modifying
the code to get more debug info, we can proceed without getting into the
question of remote access.