Re: pg_dumpall restore fails

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Shaun Crampton" <shaun(at)cantab(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dumpall restore fails
Date: 2008-11-26 22:53:02
Lists: pgsql-bugs
"Shaun Crampton" <shaun(at)cantab(dot)net> writes:
> I tried to dump the 7.4.13 database using pg_dumpall from 8.3.1 and restore
> into 8.3.5 on my local test machine.  I get the following errors at restore
> time:

> ERROR:  missing FROM-clause entry for table "icc_countries"
> LINE 2: ...de, icc_members.county, icc_states.name AS state, icc_countr...
>                                                              ^

Per the 8.1 release notes:

      It might be necessary to set add_missing_from to true
      in order to load an existing dump file, if the dump contains any
      views or rules created using the implicit-FROM syntax.
      This should be a one-time annoyance, because
      PostgreSQL 8.1 will convert
      such views and rules to standard explicit-FROM syntax.
      Subsequent dumps will therefore not have the problem.

Going from 7.4 to 8.3 in one jump is a bit ambitious; you should expect
to learn about a few compatibility issues the hard way.  Start by
reading the release notes for each version in between, *particularly*
the compatibility warnings.