Re: Do we need vacuuming when tables are regularly dropped?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Kovacs <maxottovonstirlitz(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Do we need vacuuming when tables are regularly dropped?
Date: 2008-09-29 23:44:24
Lists: pgsql-admin

Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com> writes:
> postgres(at)[local]=> CLUSTER pg_class USING pg_class_oid_index ;
> ERROR: "pg_class" is a system catalog

I think the DB is probably protecting you from yourself here ;-).
If memory serves there are some system indexes whose relfilenode
numbers can't change, and pg_class_oid_index is one of them. If
the CLUSTER had gone through you'd have hosed that database
irretrievably.

The protection check that is firing here is not so fine-grained as to
know the difference between pg_class and catalogs that this might be
safe for; but it does point up the moral that you need to know exactly
what you're doing if you are going to do DDL stuff on the system
catalogs.