Re: pgsql-server/ /configure /configure.in rc/incl ...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,"Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>,pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql-server/ /configure /configure.in rc/incl ...
Date: 2004-04-30 16:07:07
Lists: pgsql-committerspgsql-hackers
"Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net> writes:
> 3) I was under the (apparantly incorrect?) impression that we wanted
> this one up on win32 *now*, and then wanted to add it on other platforms
> later.

Well, that's an okay position if your time horizon is measured in days.
But I would like to see us using that code on all platforms before 7.5
feature freeze.  It's silly to be carrying that code around and not
using it, when we have constant problems with the C-library-based time
zone code, plus big portability issues arising from inconsistency of
time zone names across platforms.  For example, for the first time we'd
be able to actually document the set of time zone names accepted by
SET TIMEZONE, and *reliably* detect whether a provided name is really
legal.

Frankly I would never have accepted this patch if I thought it were
going to be a Windows-only hack; I would have held out for something a
lot smaller.  In my mind the principal reason for having it is not Win32
at all, but solving the multi-platform problems we've always had with
time zone handling.