Re: BUG #4879: bgwriter fails to fsync the file in recovery mode

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4879: bgwriter fails to fsync the file in recovery mode
Date: 2009-06-25 18:46:08
Lists: pgsql-bugs
> Here's a patch taking that approach, and I think it's better than the
> previous  one. I was afraid we would lose robustness if we have to set
> the shared state as "out of recovery" before requesting the checkpoint,
> but we can use the same trick we were using in startup process and set
> LocalRecoveryInProgress=false before setting the shared variable. I
> introduced a new CHECKPOINT_IS_STARTUP flag,

This isn't a "startup" checkpoint, it's an "end of recovery" checkpoint,
because we don't do it during normal startup.  Not sure about an equally
concise name based on that, but I don't like IS_STARTUP.

On the other point: are we going to eliminate mdunlink's isRedo
parameter?  Maybe the better thing is to have its callers pass the value
of InArchiveRecovery?