Re: log rotatoin doc updates

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Ed L(dot)" <pgsql(at)bluepolka(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: log rotatoin doc updates
Date: 2004-09-17 23:08:16
Lists: pgsql-patches

"Ed L." <pgsql(at)bluepolka(dot)net> writes:
> My misunderstanding. I misread the above to mean SIGHUP did not work, as
> opposed to postgresql.conf variables for which SIGHUP *will* reload them.
> I guess the word "only" refers to not being able to use SET?

Or ALTER DATABASE, ALTER USER, etc.

I guess the wording assumes that you know that altering postgresql.conf
requires a SIGHUP to make anything happen. I wouldn't object to
inserting some explicit mention of SIGHUP into these canned phrases,
if it can be done without making it much longer or more obscure.
Any thoughts?