Re: psql without password prompt

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua b(dot) Jore" <josh(at)greentechnologist(dot)org>
Cc: Wei Weng <wweng(at)kencast(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql without password prompt
Date: 2002-05-29 21:11:46
Lists: pgsql-novice

"Joshua b. Jore" <josh(at)greentechnologist(dot)org> writes:
>> [ how to run batch scripts without embedding a password? ]

> Set the PGPASSWORD environment variable or supply it on STDIN. Your user
> environment may be visible to other users so PGPASSWORD may not be secure.
> I just don't mount /proc so I don't worry about that (I run OpenBSD which
> doesn't require /proc like linux tends to). You may also consider sending
> the password in on STDIN.

An even better answer is to not use password authentication, if
possible. If your platform supports IDENT auth for local (Unix-socket)
connections, that's a pretty good alternative IMHO. IDENT across
loopback (127.0.0.1) connections is also workable if you run an identd
daemon; this works on most every platform. I would not recommend IDENT
for remote connections though, unless you trust the admin of the remote
machine.